Small business owners have the challenge of advertising on a limited budget to get the word out about their products and services. Newspaper ads, radio spots, billboards, yellow page ads and tv commercials all offer ways to promote your business but… they can be very costly.
The internet has offered an inexpensive way for small businesses to market online, but what can a small business owner do to stand out from the crowd, add the “wow factor” to their online marketing to draw attention to their website – and still be cost effective?
The answer is… online video.
What is video marketing?
Online video is a marketing strategy that lets you to connect with consumers through interactive online advertising. It’s a personalized, professional way to build rapport and connect with your target audience. With online video being easy to host, entrepreneurs and small business owners can use it to:
- build their brand
- showcase products and services
- drive traffic to their websites
- teach customers how to use their products
- advertise in ways that text and pictures alone can’t
You also have the added benefits of:
- free ‘word-of-mouth’ marketing when viewers share your video
- increased website traffic without the need to advertise
- a more meaningful, entertaining way to engage potential clients
Why it works
Consider these statistics:
- Online video is the fastest growing ad format in 2012 with nearly 55% growth. (eMarketer, January 2012)
- More than three out of five consumers will spend at least two minutes watching a video that educates them about a product they plan to purchase. (MarketingCharts.com, 2012)
Since video has become a medium that people are using more often than ever before, it opens up opportunities for businesses to connect with their target audience who are watching onlne video.
Youtube is king
There are many video hosting sites, but YouTube is the most popular. Its user base is broad in age range (18-55), evenly divided between males and females and spans all geographic areas. With more people turning to YouTube videos to do their online searches, it’s become the 2nd most popular search engine (behind Google).
The total number of advertisers using YouTube has increased 10-fold in the last year. It’s free, easy to use and holds mass appeal, making it the perfect video marketing channel for small businesses.
With a branded Youtube channel hosting your video, you can easily share it to your blog and social networking sites such as: Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
You can track the success of your video marketing with video views, channel subscribers, website traffic, comments and sales. But it IS important to remember that it doesn’t happen overnight.
Small business owners have been busy getting video content added to their websites over the past year, because they’ve recognized that it’s an effective, affordable business tool for branding and generating profits.
With the rapid growth of video consumption, it’s quickly becoming one of the best ways to improve customer relations, engage your audience and position your company in front of prospects that are seeking out your product or service – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 4 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localized in 43 countries and across 60 languages
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views or around 140 views for every person on Earth
from Youtube’s “statistics” web page
Have you used video in your online marketing? If not, have you considered it? Is there something holding you back? Share your experience or feel free to ask a question below.